Amanda-Users

Turn off Card Termination WAS: tar: Error is not rec...

2003-12-03 15:49:00
Subject: Turn off Card Termination WAS: tar: Error is not rec...
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:45:32 -0500
>The log entries would reference the st driver and/or the SCSI interface
>driver (aic7xxx).  You might wnat to check the other logs in /var/log
>or run dmesg to see if it is still in the kernel's log buffer.
>   If the tape drive is the only device on that SCSI chain you can safely
>cycle power on the tape drive without rebooting the machine. Don't do it
>if there is a disk on  the same interface or you might corrupt your disk
>(and read the manual, since some controllers have internal and external
>connectors for the same interface). If all else fails, power it all off
>and start over (generally the power-off sequence is from the controller
>out, and power-on is from the last device in).
>   Since the tape device worked for a short while, I would suspect problems
>with SCSI termination (either doubly terminated, or not at all).

So I need termination at both ends, The cable I have only fits the tape drive
only fits backwards of it's labels. Meaning the end labeled to plug into the
card fits the wide connector on the tape drive and the other end fits the thin
connector from the AHA-2940/AIC-7871 card. So I confirmed the drive is set to
terminate and the card terminates and then the length of cable on the other side
of the card also has a terminator. Can I turn off termination on the card
somehow or is it safe to chop off the terminator on the end of the cable
opposite the drive? I suppose I should just buy another cable, but I'm pinching
pennies hard here.

I'd prefer to turn off the cards termination, but if I need to cut the cable I'm
OK with that.

Thanks,
Josiah