Subject: tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:54:20 -0500
So I'm running these commands that Jay gave me.

#mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
#mt -f /dev/nst0 status
#tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /etc
#tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /var

Then I ran:
#tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /usr
and received this message.

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /dev/nst0: Wrote only 0 of 32768 bytes

Does that indicate that the tape is full? I'm figuring not, because it said it
didn't write anything from that last command.

When I entered the next command:
# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
/dev/nst0: No such device or address

So I 'rmmod st; modprobe st' and tried again with the error "/dev/nst0:
Input/output error" The LEDs on the front of this SDT-9000 are all solid lit. My
chart doesn't include that combo, but I'm guess the device needs to be reset for
some reason.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions or replace them? Any idea how I can reset the
device w/out rebooting the server?

Thanks,
Josiah

--
System Administrator
Washington Bible College/Capital Bible Seminary