Amanda-Users

Re: tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

2003-12-03 14:38:11
Subject: Re: tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:40:03 -0500
Frank Smith scripted ::

>--On Wednesday, December 03, 2003 10:54:20 -0500 Josiah Ritchie
><jritchie AT bible DOT edu> wrote:
>
>> So I'm running these commands that Jay gave me.
>>
>># mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>># mt -f /dev/nst0 status
>># tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /etc
>># tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /var
>>
>> Then I ran:
>># tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /usr
>> and received this message.
>>
>> tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
>> tar: /dev/nst0: Wrote only 0 of 32768 bytes
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>>
>> Does that indicate that the tape is full? I'm figuring not, because it said
>it> didn't write anything from that last command.
>>
>> When I entered the next command:
>># mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>> /dev/nst0: No such device or address
>
>If the mt rewind and status commands you listed at the top worked, but
>now you get an error, I would guess the drive or interface has locked up.
>Check your system logs for errors.

System logs report nothing about the tape drive. What is the service I should be
looking for? I'm relatively sure it isn't there anyway because my logs both
/var/log/messages and syslog have only [sn]mbd and rpc.* services reporting.
Nothing from the kernel or elsewhere. I finally broke down and rmmod/modprobe
both st and aic7xxx. This resulted in no change of anything. I might just need
to do a full powerdown of the device and cut the power to it to reset it unless
anyone has a better idea.

Thanks,
Josiah