Amanda-Users

Re: tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

2003-12-03 11:32:12
Subject: Re: tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:30:27 -0600
--On Wednesday, December 03, 2003 10:54:20 -0500 Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT
bible DOT edu> wrote:

> So I'm running these commands that Jay gave me.
>
># mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
># mt -f /dev/nst0 status
># tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /etc
># tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /var
>
> Then I ran:
># tar cbf 64 /dev/nst0 /usr
> and received this message.
>
> tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> tar: /dev/nst0: Wrote only 0 of 32768 bytes
>
> Does that indicate that the tape is full? I'm figuring not, because it said it
> didn't write anything from that last command.
>
> When I entered the next command:
># mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> /dev/nst0: No such device or address

If the mt rewind and status commands you listed at the top worked, but
now you get an error, I would guess the drive or interface has locked up.
Check your system logs for errors.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673