Amanda-Users

How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?

2003-12-01 11:31:05
Subject: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?
From: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:56:05 +0000
Hello,

We have a four-week, five days per week cycle:

    dumpcycle 7 days
    runspercycle 5
    tapecycle 20 tapes

These twenty tapes are named OurName-A-Mon, OurName-A-Tue, ...,
OurName-A-Fri, OurName-B-Mon, ..., OurName-D-Fri (in other words, the
letters A, B, C, D refer to weeks in the four-week cycle):

Week 1: A-Mon on Monday, A-Tue on Tuesday, A-Wed on Wednesday etc.
Week 2: B-Mon on Monday, B-Tue on Tuesday etc.
Week 3: C-Mon ... C-Fri
Week 4: D-Mon ... D-Fri

Last Friday, we were due to use OurName-B-Fri, but because of a disk
space problem in /var/log, the job failed.  AMANDA is still expecting to
use OurName-B-Fri, rather than OurName-C-Mon which would be part of the
usual schedule.  After putting OurName-C-Mon in the drive, amcheck
produces this:

    ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape OurName-C-Mon
           (expecting tape OurName-B-Fri or a new tape)

Tried a suggestion I found in the AMANDA FAQ, which was to set
OurName-B-Fri as "no-reuse" so that it wouldn't ask for it, but this
still wouldn't make it want to use OurName-C-Mon:

    ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape CRUK-Weekly-C-Mon
           (expecting a new tape)

What can I try here?  Basically, the contents of both OurName-B-Fri and
OurName-C-Mon are 'disposable', since they are both due to be
overwritten in any case.

Comments suggesting that "using the day-of-the-week in the label is a
bad idea" won't be considered helpful, although I have a feeling that
may be something I'll hear ... :-)

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart