Amanda-Users

Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?

2003-12-01 12:58:45
Subject: Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:55:17 -0800
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:56:05PM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
>     dumpcycle 7 days
>     runspercycle 5
>     tapecycle 20 tapes
[clip]
> Last Friday, we were due to use OurName-B-Fri, but because of a disk
> space problem in /var/log, the job failed.  AMANDA is still expecting to
> use OurName-B-Fri, rather than OurName-C-Mon which would be part of the
> usual schedule.  After putting OurName-C-Mon in the drive, amcheck
> produces this:
>
>     ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape OurName-C-Mon
>            (expecting tape OurName-B-Fri or a new tape)
>
> Tried a suggestion I found in the AMANDA FAQ, which was to set
> OurName-B-Fri as "no-reuse" so that it wouldn't ask for it, but this
> still wouldn't make it want to use OurName-C-Mon:
>
>     ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape CRUK-Weekly-C-Mon
>            (expecting a new tape)
>
> What can I try here?  Basically, the contents of both OurName-B-Fri and
> OurName-C-Mon are 'disposable', since they are both due to be
> overwritten in any case.

No.  You set 'tapecycle 20', and OurName-B-Fri is the 20th tape at
the moment, not OurName-C-Mon.  tapecycle means TAPEcycle, not RUNcycle
or DAYcycle, or anything else, and OurName-C-Mon is not over-writable
until it becomes the 20th tape.  Make sense?

If you want to be able to arbitrarily skip tapes, you have to reduce
tapecycle.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461