Amanda-Users

Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?

2003-12-01 12:13:11
Subject: Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:32:49 -0500
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 02:56:05PM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a four-week, five days per week cycle:
>
>     dumpcycle 7 days
>     runspercycle 5
>     tapecycle 20 tapes
>
> These twenty tapes are named OurName-A-Mon, OurName-A-Tue, ...,
> OurName-A-Fri, OurName-B-Mon, ..., OurName-D-Fri (in other words, the
> letters A, B, C, D refer to weeks in the four-week cycle):
>
> Week 1: A-Mon on Monday, A-Tue on Tuesday, A-Wed on Wednesday etc.
> Week 2: B-Mon on Monday, B-Tue on Tuesday etc.
> Week 3: C-Mon ... C-Fri
> Week 4: D-Mon ... D-Fri
>
> Last Friday, we were due to use OurName-B-Fri, but because of a disk
> space problem in /var/log, the job failed.  AMANDA is still expecting to
> use OurName-B-Fri, rather than OurName-C-Mon which would be part of the
> usual schedule.  After putting OurName-C-Mon in the drive, amcheck
> produces this:
>
>     ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape OurName-C-Mon
>            (expecting tape OurName-B-Fri or a new tape)
>
> Tried a suggestion I found in the AMANDA FAQ, which was to set
> OurName-B-Fri as "no-reuse" so that it wouldn't ask for it, but this
> still wouldn't make it want to use OurName-C-Mon:
>
>     ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape CRUK-Weekly-C-Mon
>            (expecting a new tape)
>
> What can I try here?  Basically, the contents of both OurName-B-Fri and
> OurName-C-Mon are 'disposable', since they are both due to be
> overwritten in any case.
>
> Comments suggesting that "using the day-of-the-week in the label is a
> bad idea" won't be considered helpful, although I have a feeling that
> may be something I'll hear ... :-)

I think if you reduce your tapecycle, say to 15, then it will
use any tape used less recently than the last 15.  You can still
cycle 20 tapes and it will ask for them in sequence.  I think
it may still ask for the missed tape until it is finally used.
Or you can "no reuse" it until it is due.  Since you will still
have more than the "15" tapecycle tapes in use it will not
ask for a "new tape".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)