Amanda-Users

Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?

2003-12-01 12:17:00
Subject: Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>, AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:12:54 -0500
On Monday 01 December 2003 09:56, Dave Ewart wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We have a four-week, five days per week cycle:
>
>    dumpcycle 7 days
>    runspercycle 5
>    tapecycle 20 tapes
>
>These twenty tapes are named OurName-A-Mon, OurName-A-Tue, ...,
>OurName-A-Fri, OurName-B-Mon, ..., OurName-D-Fri (in other words,
> the letters A, B, C, D refer to weeks in the four-week cycle):
>
>Week 1: A-Mon on Monday, A-Tue on Tuesday, A-Wed on Wednesday etc.
>Week 2: B-Mon on Monday, B-Tue on Tuesday etc.
>Week 3: C-Mon ... C-Fri
>Week 4: D-Mon ... D-Fri
>
>Last Friday, we were due to use OurName-B-Fri, but because of a disk
>space problem in /var/log, the job failed.  AMANDA is still
> expecting to use OurName-B-Fri, rather than OurName-C-Mon which
> would be part of the usual schedule.  After putting OurName-C-Mon
> in the drive, amcheck produces this:
>
>    ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape OurName-C-Mon
>           (expecting tape OurName-B-Fri or a new tape)
>
>Tried a suggestion I found in the AMANDA FAQ, which was to set
>OurName-B-Fri as "no-reuse" so that it wouldn't ask for it, but this
>still wouldn't make it want to use OurName-C-Mon:
>
>    ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape CRUK-Weekly-C-Mon
>           (expecting a new tape)
>
>What can I try here?  Basically, the contents of both OurName-B-Fri
> and OurName-C-Mon are 'disposable', since they are both due to be
> overwritten in any case.
>
>Comments suggesting that "using the day-of-the-week in the label is
> a bad idea" won't be considered helpful, although I have a feeling
> that may be something I'll hear ... :-)

You took the words right off my keyboard Dave.  That said, one could
edit the tapelist and fix it, but I don't recall now exactly what
you'd have to do, so I'll refrain.  Perhaps someone more familiar
with amanda's hormones can help :-)  Here, its no problem as the
tapes are simply numbered in sequence.

>Dave.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M