Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck: skipping tape test because amdump or amflush seem to be running

2003-11-24 21:27:05
Subject: Re: amcheck: skipping tape test because amdump or amflush seem to be running
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: cccbg AT t-online DOT de (Cedric Boudin)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:24:43 -0500
On Monday 24 November 2003 20:42, Cedric Boudin wrote:
>Gene Heskett writes:

[...]

>Amanda at my place is called backup and belongs to grp backup
>can read write in /var/lib/amanda/ 700 /etc/amanda 700
>/var/backups/holdingdisk 700 /var/log/amanda 700

I don't think those '700' perms are kosher.  Its beginning to sound as
if you didn't unpack, configure and make amanda while su'ed to the
proper user.  The only time you become root is to do the 'make
install'.

Here, any amanda related directory looks like this to an ls -l

drwxr-xr-x    2 amanda   disk         4096 Nov 24 00:05 DailySet1

And any file (except a select few in libexec and bin) should look like
this:
-rw-r--r--    1 amanda   disk            2 Nov 24 16:15 tape-slot

At this point I think I would clean house on everything but
/usr/local/etc/amanda (assuming your configs are in there)
cd to /usr/local/etc
and do a 'chown -R amanda:disk amanda' changing the first amanda there
to whatever the backup user is on your system.

Then cd to one level above the src dir, wipe it out, su to your user,
unpack a new one, configure and make it while still as that user.

I use a script that tends to keep me honest about the build, and it
looks like this, edit the details to suit your general framework.
-------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=your-machines-FQDN \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make
------------------------
Make that script executable, or run it from a shell.  When its done,
su root, and 'make install'

All your perms problems should now be history.

> > On my system the user running amanda is amanda, so the chown
> > command would be, from one level out of the root directory of
> > anything amanda related "chown -R amanda:disk nameofdir"
> >

> > You must do this recursively, hence the -R.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Gene
> > AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
> > Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
> > 99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
> > Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
> > by Gene Heskett are:
> > Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: