Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck: skipping tape test because amdump or amflush seem to be running

2003-11-24 20:37:31
Subject: Re: amcheck: skipping tape test because amdump or amflush seem to be running
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: cccbg AT t-online DOT de (Cedric Boudin), Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:33:54 -0500
On Monday 24 November 2003 13:29, Cedric Boudin wrote:
>Paul Bijnens writes:
> > Cedric Boudin wrote:
> > > Hello honourable readers of the list,
> > >
> > > After some succesfull testing, I wanted to make a run for real.
> > > As recommended in the FAQ I removed:
> > >
> > >   -curinfo
> > >   -any log files from the log directory
> > >   -tapelist
> > >   -reseted the changer state file
> > >
> > > so I run the amcheck on a particular configuration and I do
> > > get:
> > >
> > > Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> > > -----------------------------
> > > Holding disk /var/backups/holdingdisk: 1431256 KB disk space
> > > available, that's plenty WARNING: skipping tape test because
> > > amdump or amflush seem to be running WARNING: if they are not,
> > > you must run amcleanup
> > > NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/test/curinfo/dell: does not
> > > exist NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/test/index/dell: does not
> > > exist Server check took 0.023 seconds
> > >
> > > ---------------
> > > so I run
> > > amcleanup on the configuration
> > >
> > > and amcheck does not believe me.
> > >
> > > I checked that I did not forget to delete the recommended files
> > >
> > > no process is running, no tape is in the drive
> >
> > Then there probably is a file named "amflush". Rename it to
> > "amflush.0" or "amflush.1" (next free number).
> > Maybe you ran amflush or other testing as root?  Then some
> > files/directores were created as root, and now owned by root,
> > amanda cannot write in them.
>
>I've cleaned everything up the amanda instalation is if a dare say
>virginal. I can't figure out where amcheck does get the info. No
>amanda process is runing and I' doubled checked theres is absolutely
>no file whatsover in /var/lib/amanda/test (indices or curinfo) and
>/var/log/amanda is as empty as it could be. I chown'ed all the dirs
>the amanda user is sole user
>????

Your user who is running amanda, needs to be a member of the rgoup
backup or disk in order to have sufficient perms to do the job.

On my system the user running amanda is amanda, so the chown command
would be, from one level out of the root directory of anything amanda
related "chown -R amanda:disk nameofdir"

You must do this recursively, hence the -R.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: