Amanda-Users

Re: Network recovery with changer

2003-11-12 12:57:16
Subject: Re: Network recovery with changer
From: Stephen Walton <stephen.walton AT csun DOT edu>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:53:55 -0800
On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 09:13, Stephen Walton wrote:

> Thanks so much, Paul.  I've installed the 2003-11-07 snapshot and made
> the above change to my amanda.conf, and amrecover now uses the changer!
> Should the amanda man page be changed to specifically state that
> amrecover_changer should be the name of the tape changer script you're
> using and not the name of a tape or changer device?

To answer my own question:  because it isn't needed.  I violated a
cardinal rule of both science and software testing, which is to change
only one thing at a time.  It turns out that I had made a small mistake
in my configuration of the 2003-11-07 Amanda snapshot which resulted in
amrecover still using the 2.4.4p1 version of amrestore rather than the
one from the snapshot.  Once I fixed that, setting amrecover_changer to
"/dev/nst0" and "settape /dev/nst0" in amrecover worked as well.  It
does seem odd, though;  can amrecover_changer be any arbitrary string to
trigger use of the changer?
--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton AT csun DOT edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge