Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck fails

2003-11-06 04:24:44
Subject: Re: amcheck fails
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Christoph Brunner <christoph.brunner AT internetx DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 04:21:22 -0500
On Thursday 06 November 2003 03:57, Christoph Brunner wrote:
>Hi,
>
>when i run amcheck, i get an error, that the host, i am currently
> working on, is not available:

>amanda@backup03m amanda $ amcheck -c DailySet1
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>WARNING: backup03m: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>Client check: 2 hosts checked in 30.201 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p1)
>
>A nslookup|dig|host can resolve the hostname, so that can't be the
> problem. If i write the FQDN of the host name in the disklist, the
> error is the same.
>
>Does anyone know, where the problem is?

Are you running on a system that uses xinetd?

If so, my guess is that you need a file, located in /etc/xinetd.d,
called amanda, probably owned by amanda:disk, that resembles this
one:
------------------------------------
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
---------------------------------------

Modify the paths to suit your system of course, and the 'user' and
'group' to match yours.

Of course if you're still running things from an inetd list, the docs
contain the info to set that up.  Either must be restarted to take
effect of course.

>Nice greetings,
>Christoph Brunner

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M