Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck - why run it?

2003-09-24 08:31:32
Subject: Re: amcheck - why run it?
From: Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 24 Sep 2003 08:25:18 -0400
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> writes:

> Not having used amverify, how do you handle a backup that
> used multiple tapes?  Do you need an intelligent script
> to determine which tapes were used that day?  And then
> run amverify on each?

I only write one tape per day, so I hadn't thought about this.  But
the point is to verify that some tape, picked more or less arbitrarily
from the week, is ok, to ensure that the bits that amanda thought she
wrote to tape can be read back.  So at 0005 every Tuesday to Saturday
(Monday to Friday night), we run amdump.  Just after midnight on
Sunday (Saturday night), we run amverify, which reads the tape that is
still in the drive from Friday night's dump.  Or, if the tape didn't
get changed, Thursday night's dump.

So, we make no attempt to verify any particular tape.  The hope is
that if the tape drive starts corrupting bits, we'll notice it.

It would be better to run amverify in a different tape drive, to
verify that we would have a chance of reading tapes if we lost the
drive and had to get a replacement.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>