Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck - why run it?

2003-09-28 13:10:17
Subject: Re: amcheck - why run it?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:08:25 -0400
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 05:42:02PM +0200, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> writes:
>
> > I asked Greg how you could do a amverify after a multi-tape amdump.
> > I.e. how you would figure out which tapes to verify?
>
> >   NAME
> >      amverifyrun - check the tapes written by the last amanda run
> >
> >   SYNOPSIS
> >      amverifyrun config
> >
> >   DESCRIPTION
> >      Amverifyrun read the log from the last amanda  run      to  find
> >      the  slot      of  the  first  tape used and the number of tapes
> >      used.  It call amverify with these     argument.
>
> This seems to assume that the tapes are in consecutive
> slots. (amverify seems to have this limit, and amverifyrun does not
> work around this.)

As amverifyrun is simply a shell script that calls amverify telling
it the number of tapes, it is not surprising that it would suffer
the same defects.

Is there a way, other than "amtape ... show" to get a list of the
tapes currently in the changer?  I'd like to think there was an
alternative to going through each slot individually unless necessary.

I can imagine a way to modify amverifyrun to call amverify to do
specific slots one at a time.  However, it would take knowledge of
what tapes are in the changer.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)