Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck - why run it?

2003-09-25 09:00:29
Subject: Re: amcheck - why run it?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:53:52 +0200
Hi, Bob Zahn,

on Dienstag, 23. September 2003 at 21:09 you wrote to amanda-users:

BZ> Also, I don't run amverify either because I lack the time during the backup
BZ> window for this. I'm not sure this is necessary either. What is amverify
BZ> really checking? I don't think it checks what was dumped on tape vs what is
BZ> on the disk. Is it necessary to make sure  you really have a valid backup?

Currently I run amverify after every amdump. My backup window leaves
me enough time to do that and so I have "amverified" that the tapes I
wrote are at least readable. At the particular installation amverify
takes ~30-60 minutes (DDS-3 tapes) depending on tape usage.

I would recommend doing amverify at least once a week to detect tape
errors before it is too late. Doing amverify on another tape-drive, as
Greg assumes, would be even better, but exceeds the budget of my
customers ...

As I am not in place that often, I would like to have some automated
amrecover-run that restores some files of the actual tape.

So it would be like:

1500 amcheck
2200 amdump && amverify && automated_amrecover

I think about including a small DLE containing testfiles, which is
dumped full every run and can be used to be recovered via a script.

Has anyone done something like that?

--
best regards,
Stefan