Amanda-Users

Copying from one tape to another tape

2003-09-19 14:49:28
Subject: Copying from one tape to another tape
From: "Joshua D. Bello" <josh AT nextrials DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:54:27 -0700
Greetings!  I'm having a bit of difficulty and I haven't yet found any
info in the list archives that has helped me to solve this problem.

I'm currently attempting to copy the contents of a 35GB DLT-IV
(DLT7000) tape over to an SDLT-320 tape.  The DLT-IV tape is not readable
on my SDLT drive, and contains some old Amanda backups that I would like
to be able to access after we get rid of our DLT-IV drive.

I am attempting to copy from one tape to another using dd, and getting
the following results:

[15:37:44]root@anubis:/local0/tmp# dd bs=32k if=/dev/rsa1 of=/dev/rsa0
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
32768 bytes transferred in 1.628442 secs (20122 bytes/sec)

The return is instantaneous, and obviously this copy is not working.  I
no longer have the amanda logs or index files for this tape.

Are there other options I could perhaps try with dd?

I have managed to extract backup images using amrestore, although I do
need to grab them by individually specifying the host and disk,
otherwise it will repeatedly extract and overwrite the first image on
the tape like so:

[15:46:05]root@anubis:/local0/tmp# amrestore /dev/rsa1
amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20030303 label MONTHLY002
amrestore:   1: restoring atlas._var.20030303.0

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
amrestore:   2: skipping start of tape: date 20030303 label MONTHLY002
amrestore:   3: restoring atlas._var.20030303.0

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
amrestore:   4: skipping start of tape: date 20030303 label MONTHLY002
amrestore:   5: restoring atlas._var.20030303.0

With all of the backup images successfully restored, is there a way that
I can use amflush to copy these to a different tape, even though I don't
have the index files and logs?

Could I use amrestore -r and then dd the raw output onto the new tape?
Thanks for any ideas/assistance that anybody can provide!

--
Joshua D. Bello <josh AT nextrials DOT com>
Systems Administrator