Amanda-Users

Re: Crashing machine

2003-09-19 14:49:23
Subject: Re: Crashing machine
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc." <Bart.Brashers AT mfgenv DOT com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:56:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 at 2:42pm, Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc. wrote

> I've been using amanda-2.4.2p2 for a long time now, without problems.  In
> the last week or so, my Linux (2.4.20) machine has been crashing, apparently
> when amanda runs.  I see in the various logs in /var/log when amanda (e.g.
> xinetd in /var/log/secure with user amanda, from 127.0.0.1) and then nothing
> until the restart the next morning when I restart the computer.
>
> The real kicker was just now when I ran amflush (after amcleanup) to flush
> the last failed dump to the disk.  The system panicked after just a few
> minutes, with the "Machine check exception (kernel panic: cpu context
> corrupt)" error.  That usually happens when the system is too hot, or you
> have a bad motherboard, or something.  This machine has been in operation
> for about 6 months, so it's probably not the MB.  It's not that hot in the
> room, and I checked that the fins on the CPU fan weren't clogged with dust.
>
> Any ideas here?  Anyone heard of such a thing?  Am I barking up the wrong
> tree thinking that amanda might be responsible for my crashes?  It's a real
> pain, not being able to run stuff at night (and not having backups makes me
> nervous).

That sure sounds a lot like hardware to me.  Backups can stress the system
in a lot of ways -- CPU, I/O, etc.  Try to test each component -- run
memtest86 for the memory, bonnie++ or iometer or tiobench for the disks,
setiathome or some such for the CPU, some network testing, etc.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering