Amanda-Users

Re: Copying from one tape to another tape

2003-09-19 14:46:24
Subject: Re: Copying from one tape to another tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:02:12 -0400
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 03:54:27PM -0700, Joshua D. Bello wrote:
> Greetings!  I'm having a bit of difficulty and I haven't yet found any
> info in the list archives that has helped me to solve this problem.
>
> I'm currently attempting to copy the contents of a 35GB DLT-IV
> (DLT7000) tape over to an SDLT-320 tape.  The DLT-IV tape is not readable
> on my SDLT drive, and contains some old Amanda backups that I would like
> to be able to access after we get rid of our DLT-IV drive.
>
> I am attempting to copy from one tape to another using dd, and getting
> the following results:
>
> [15:37:44]root@anubis:/local0/tmp# dd bs=32k if=/dev/rsa1 of=/dev/rsa0
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> 32768 bytes transferred in 1.628442 secs (20122 bytes/sec)

Others got the need to loop.

However, depending on your OS, you may have a command specifically
for that purpose.  Solaris has a little known "tcopy" command.
Kinda neat.  Given 2 args it copies from one to the other.
Give one arg, it reports for each file the record sizes and
number of records.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)