Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda win32 Client

2003-09-03 09:26:43
Subject: Re: Amanda win32 Client
From: Uwe Beger <Uwe.Beger AT labotest DOT com>
To: JC Simonetti <simonetti AT echo DOT fr>, cdp AT trynix DOT dk
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:19:58 +0200
I prefere #3
All my important win boxes (actually only Win2K) do a standard M$ backup on a samba share, which is backed up by amanda.
Advantages: immediate recovery possible
Disadv.: disk space
At 13:26 03.09.2003, JC Simonetti wrote:
You have 3 ways to backup Windows by Amanda:
1. Win32 client: good luck, since its development has been stopped 2 years ago
2. Windows shares and Samba client on your Amanda box: not so good because of the rights of the files that are bot backed up 3. Amanda standard client installed under Cygwin on your Windows box: OK, but you have to install Cygwin first; and I'm not sure I like this solution, just because I have to install a "Linux emulator" on a Windows box (can you imagine yourself installing a Wine on your Linux just to make some administrative operations? I don't).

In my case, I have adopted 3 different solutions, depending on the boxes I back up:
1. Samba
2. Cygwin
3. backup Windows computers with official Windows backup solutions