Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda win32 Client

2003-09-03 07:31:04
Subject: Re: Amanda win32 Client
From: JC Simonetti <simonetti AT echo DOT fr>
To: cdp AT trynix DOT dk
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:26:39 +0200
You have 3 ways to backup Windows by Amanda:
1. Win32 client: good luck, since its development has been stopped 2 years ago
2. Windows shares and Samba client on your Amanda box: not so good because of
the rights of the files that are bot backed up
3. Amanda standard client installed under Cygwin on your Windows box: OK, but
you have to install Cygwin first; and I'm not sure I like this solution, just
because I have to install a "Linux emulator" on a Windows box (can you imagine
yourself installing a Wine on your Linux just to make some administrative
operations? I don't).

In my case, I have adopted 3 different solutions, depending on the boxes I back
up:
1. Samba
2. Cygwin
3. backup Windows computers with official Windows backup solutions

Jean-Christian SIMONETTI    email: jean-christian.simonetti AT wanadoo DOT com
SysAdmin Wanadoo Portails   phone: (+33)493004911
Sophia Antipolis, France