Amanda-Users

Re: Pre-emptive sanity check Question

2003-07-15 13:43:55
Subject: Re: Pre-emptive sanity check Question
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: "Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM" <mbruntel AT att DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:39:59 -0700
On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:20:12AM -0500, Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM wrote:
> 1) The Exabyte folks said the X80 likes to work in ASPI mode, and
>    that there are no drivers needed for this mode supplied by them.

You can now safely ignore the "Exabyte folks", since they've proven
themselves clueless.  :-)  ASPI is an old SCSI API, originated by
Adaptec 10 years ago or so, I think, and only exists in the DOS and
Windows environment.  There is no such thing as an "ASPI mode" for your
library, its a non-sequitur.

It would be like saying a text file is in "emacs mode" or "vim mode"
because you used emacs or vim to read/write it.

> This leads me to think the best changer I could use is chg-scsi, and
> I have the following questions about that file.  I would guess that
> this is the file that tries to drive the elements in regular aspi mode
> too..

Forget ASPI.  It has absolutely nothing to do with you, your library,
or amanda.  You should be able to make either chg-scsi or chg-zd-mtx
work, whichever you feel like.  Nice to have choices.

> Here's a small snippet from my new chg-scsi file.
> # the device that is used for the tapedrive 1
> startuse        451
> enduse          451
> AND HERE's the question.   This # (451) is what Exabyte calls the
> ELEMENT index assignment for my 80 cartridge library, and came out of
> the users manual

I don't know an X80 from a hole in the ground, but there is no way that
'startuse 451'/'enduse 451' can be correct.  You're telling amanda the
config has one and only one slot, which (even if 451 is a legal slot,
which I doubt) is not what you want.  What does 'mtx status' say (I say
that only because I don't know what the chg-scsi equivalent is)?

> number_configs  3  #(because I have 3 drives.  BOY am I smart!!!)
> # # configs being set to how many tape drives!

As long as you're aware that a single amanda config only knows how to
use a single tape drive (except for RAIT).

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461