Amanda-Users

Pre-emptive sanity check Question

2003-07-15 08:31:38
Subject: Pre-emptive sanity check Question
From: "Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM" <mbruntel AT att DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:20:12 -0500
OK.  So now that I:
a) have working tape drives
b) a SCSI id for my robot
c) software that seems to work
d) a good part of my configuruation issues worked out

I have a few more questions.

1) The Exabyte folks said the X80 likes to work in ASPI mode, and that there
are no drivers needed
for this mode supplied by them.

This leads me to think the best changer I could use is chg-scsi, and I have the
following questions about that file.  I would guess that this is the file that
tries to drive the elements in regular aspi mode too..

Here's a small snippet from my new chg-scsi file.
# the device that is used for the tapedrive 1
startuse        451
enduse          451
AND HERE's the question.   This # (451) is what Exabyte calls the ELEMENT index
assignment for my 80 cartridge library, and came out of the users manual
I am presuming that this is INDEED the # that Amanda wants as the slot#.

cleancart       0
# the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 1 is located
** This is defined as the fixed cartridge slot for the X80 drive, and is
element 0.

--snippet follows:

number_configs  3  #(because I have 3 drives.  BOY am I smart!!!)
# # configs being set to how many tape drives!
eject           1       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           5       # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        15      # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/scsi/changer/c1t0d0
#
# Next comes the data for drive 1
#
config          1
drivenum        1
dev             /dev/rmt/0n
# the device that is used for the tapedrive 1
startuse        451
# The slots associated with the drive 1 (per p180in manual
enduse          451
#  This per page 180 in X80 manual
statfile        /usr/local/etc/amanda/DailyBackup/drive1-stat
# The file where the actual slot info is stored