Amanda-Users

Re: Any way to parallelize or speed up the planner?

2003-07-15 13:38:53
Subject: Re: Any way to parallelize or speed up the planner?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM" <mbruntel AT att DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:37:04 +0200
Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM wrote:

Let me rephrase the question slightly. When running your normal
"amdump" program, is it just the parallelism command that controls
this, or do we need to kick off new (additional) crons to do this?

No, there can be only one amandad be active on one port (10080).
If you compile another version of amanda, to use a different service port (e.g. 10090), only then you can have two running at the same time.
(But this is only used when people have two amanda servers, and want
to spread the load of the backup over the two servers.)

The parallelism is controlled by maxdumps and splindle numbers.
(and constraints like holdingdisk space, bandwith, etc.)