Amanda-Users

Re: Dumps way too big...

2003-07-09 13:19:06
Subject: Re: Dumps way too big...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:14:26 -0400
On Wednesday 09 July 2003 10:15, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:52:27PM +0800, SIMTech wrote:
>> > If this is a new DLE, it must get a level 0 first.
>> > I'm guessing that the level 0 has never been done
>> > and this is what is "way too big".
>>
>> Yes John. You are right on this....
>>
>> > The confusing message is planner trying to estimate
>> > a level 1, then finding out it is not allowed to
>> > do a level 1 ("must skip incrmental dumps").
>>
>> This is what I thought, but when, if ever will that directory get
>> dumped? Should I used amadmin to force it to level 0 on the next
>> run? I thought it would have done it when I added the directory,
>> but you are right, it never did a level 0 to begin with...
>
>It is trying to do a level 0 right now, without any action on your
> part. BUT it believes that a level 0 for that DLE is too big to fit
> on one tape, 12GB in your case.  If you are using software
> compression, with no previous history to base compressibility on,
> amanda uses 50%.  That suggests your new DLE is actually larger
> than 24GB.  Possible?
>
>> >From the above,
>> >I'd break both /home, and /Documents up into at least 3 pieces
>> > each.
>>
>> Also thanks to Gene. I will see if I can compel the users to break
>> their directories down into more manageable shares.
>
>Ahh, samba shares huh?
>You know, system administration would be
>such a nice job if only there were no users :)

Chuckle.  Yeah, just you and me, NOT! :-)

Actually Jon, what I had in mind was his use of a few regex patterns
in a DLE, between {} as shown in a modern disklist sample so that the
breakup was under *his* control rather than the users of the
/Documentation directory.  That, and a DLE for every user in /home
should help to relieve his problems considerably.

The disklist gets more complex, but thats relatively minor compared to
the situation this user has right now.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: