Amanda-Users

Re: Dumps way too big...

2003-07-09 10:17:23
Subject: Re: Dumps way too big...
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:15:49 -0400
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:52:27PM +0800, SIMTech wrote:
> > If this is a new DLE, it must get a level 0 first.
> > I'm guessing that the level 0 has never been done
> > and this is what is "way too big".
>

> Yes John. You are right on this....
>
> > The confusing message is planner trying to estimate
> > a level 1, then finding out it is not allowed to
> > do a level 1 ("must skip incrmental dumps").
>
> This is what I thought, but when, if ever will that directory get dumped?
> Should I used amadmin to force it to level 0 on the next run? I thought it
> would have done it when I added the directory, but you are right, it never
> did a level 0 to begin with...

It is trying to do a level 0 right now, without any action on your part.
BUT it believes that a level 0 for that DLE is too big to fit on one tape,
12GB in your case.  If you are using software compression, with no previous
history to base compressibility on, amanda uses 50%.  That suggests your
new DLE is actually larger than 24GB.  Possible?

> >From the above,
> >I'd break both /home, and /Documents up into at least 3 pieces each.
>
> Also thanks to Gene. I will see if I can compel the users to break their
> directories down into more manageable shares.

Ahh, samba shares huh?
You know, system administration would be
such a nice job if only there were no users :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)