Amanda-Users

RE: Dump too big for tape

2003-05-30 11:57:04
Subject: RE: Dump too big for tape
From: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:54:54 -0500
> But before timing out, planner got already an estimate. Look
> in the amdump file.  It took 5.6+ Gbyte in its estimate from
>www.iclear.com plus the 5.9 Gbyte from the others plus 150 Mbyte from
/var. And that total amount is over your estimated tapecapacity. So
planner decided to switch one filesystem to an incremental one before
even starting the backups >>themselves. It does not know that
www.iclear.com will time out. When the backup was started,
www.iclear.com timed out, just as always, but planner had already given
instructions to the driver. Driver does not come back on the schedule
delivered by planner to notice that suddenly, because some other dump
failed, it has enough room on the tape to do a full instead of an
incremental.

Look (or post) the amdump file from that run, and notice the schedule
planner generated.

I get it now...it makes sense now that I see it on paper...but I wasn't
thinking about it that way. (argh) Tunnel vision - sorry...