Amanda-Users

RE: Dump too big for tape

2003-05-30 11:41:01
Subject: RE: Dump too big for tape
From: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:38:01 -0500
> But from the previous mails we found out, ananda did send the
> estimate
> before timing out.
> So planner set all up to include 5.6 GByte from this host
> too. And that seems to be too much for 11976 Mbyte tape
> capacity. So planner degraded one of the backups, and planned
> an incremental one instead.

I'm not even addressing the timeout issue...that just will not
resolve...
I'm more concerned with why my 12GB tape will not backup ~5.8GB today,
when it backed up ~5.9GB last night and every night since April, when it
was backing up well over 10GB. This very tape, isymmdaily01, in its last
rotation, backed up 5923MB. What I'm trying to find out is why 5.6 GB
'seems to be too much for the 11976 Mbyte tape capacity'. If it's a
media error, I'll pull the tape...I'm asking if this could be indicative
of something else.

> Completely aside:  I would have expected a message named
>     hostname diskname lev 0 FAILED [blabla]
> Any idea why the hostname is "_www.iclear_
> <file://www.iclear>" in the message amanda > sends you?

I guess I always assumed that it was cutting the .com off of the
www.iclear.com due to some reporting constraint. My disklist entry says:
www.iclear.com / user-tar
for that client. Sendbackup is looking for the right client:

 /-- www.iclear / lev 0 FAILED [mesg read: Connection timed out]
sendbackup: start [www.iclear.com:/ level 0]

And all of the information I sent you in those reports last week has the
server going to the client and getting estimates...it's timing out after
that, so it appears to know where it's going, it just can't complete
it's mission (even though it chose to accept it), and it's
self-destructing.