Amanda-Users

Re: Questions about AMANDA

2003-05-30 11:43:56
Subject: Re: Questions about AMANDA
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:41:02 -0700
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:58:28AM -0300, Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA) wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I have a backup policy and I would like to convert it to Amanda. The
> backup policy is:
>
>              One full backup - One time per month (without following
> incremental backups)

Fine.  Separate amanda config with:

    dumpcycle 0          # full only
    runspercycle 1       # full only
    tapecycle 1          # full only
    strategy noinc       # full only
    index yes            # you don't have to, but it's nice
    record no            # so you don't confuse the other config

>              One full backup - One time per week and incrementals backups
> until the next week. For example, if I make a full backup on monday, the
> incrementals backups should be from tuesday until sunday.

You don't do this.  You do:

    dumpcycle 1 week     # At least one full per week
    runspercycle 7       # Run 7X/week
    tapecycle 14         # At least two weeks, more is better
    index yes
    record yes

So you don't know if the full will be on Monday or not, but you know
you will get at least one full/week.  You don't know that all the
other runs will be incremental, though they probably will be
unless amanda decides to move the full day to balance tape usage.

>       Another questions:
>
>              How can I restore a backup using Amanda ?

Usually, amrecover, sometimes amrestore.

>              If one of the clients that have been backuped is down (lose all
> data), How  can I restore a backup on that client ?

Read docs/RESTORE.  :-)

>              How can I change the label of a tape ?

amlabel -f

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461