Amanda-Users

Re: amanda's rights on a client

2003-05-24 15:15:01
Subject: Re: amanda's rights on a client
From: christopher cuse <ccuse AT manchotnetworks DOT net>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 24 May 2003 21:10:47 +0200
On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 16:57, Jon LaBadie wrote:

hi jon,

thanks for your message -- i suspected that this was the case

> Semantics perhaps, but was backing up the "entire" / filesystem before.
> /home, /opt, ... are not part of the / file system in your setup.  I hate
> bring up a PC analogy, but what you are asking is "why when I ask it to
> backup 'C:' doesn't it also back up my D: & E: drives, and my cdrom, and
> my floppy, and my shared network drives?"
while dos systems are (possibly) multi-root, linux is single root.
afaik, you cannot have two root file systems mounted simultaneouly in
linux, and swicthing back and forth would be (i think) a nightmare.
going back and forth to c: and d:, essentially allows swicthing root
systems as each drive letters (without subst, etc) represent a root fs.

given what you have said, i think that amanda is correctly configured --
imagine the chaos if a user mounted a LARGE, remote filesystem, just
prior to having amdump executed on the server -- if "/" meant the whole
thing, then that remote filesystem would be backed up, probably gobbling
up all of the bandwidth, and taking lots of time. same goes for unwanted
backup of a cdrom or dvd device.

> I don't think there is a decent way to do what you want with amanda.  Some
> people might suggest dynamically 'changing' your disklist each amdump run
> according to a scan of your fstab.  But that has problems recently described.
agreed

> On your system do you have to break things up into separate filesystems?
> Why not just have one / filesystem in your fstab?  Then amanda could get it
> all with only one disklist entry.
actually, a single filesystem is discouraged for several reasons, most
noteably, if the capacity becomes exhausted (by run-away logging) for
example. when linux kernel has no space, it tends to halt pretty quickly
afterward.

so, generally /boot is mounted seperately (possibly read-only), as might
/usr. /var typically on its own partition because it has a higher risk
of exhausting its space. The rest, up to the adminstrator, but it is
notewaorthy that /etc should not be mounted on its own partition, but
should always be part of root.

Cheers & Thanks Again,

Charles