Amanda-Users

Re: amanda's rights on a client

2003-05-24 11:03:22
Subject: Re: amanda's rights on a client
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:57:44 -0400
On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 01:53:26PM +0200, chuck shick wrote:
> hi joushua,
>

> i had assumed that when specifying / in the disklist, that amanda would
> back up the root and all its subdirs excepting the exclusions that i had
> indicated:

  [[snip]]

> ---/etc/fstab---
> /dev/vg0/lvroot   /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> /dev/vg0/lvhome   /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/vg0/lvopt    /opt                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/vg0/lvtmp    /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/vg0/lvusr    /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/vg0/lvvar    /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/sda3         /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> <snip>
>

> as you can see, i am using lvm and in fact, amanda was only backing up
> the lvroot filesystem. changing the disklist to:
>
> localhost / hard-disk-comp-tar
> localhost /boot hard-disk-comp-tar
> localhost /home hard-disk-comp-tar
> localhost /opt hard-disk-comp-tar
> localhost /usr hard-disk-comp-tar
> localhost /var {
>         hard-disk-comp-tar
>         exclude "./ftp/pub/redhat-8.0" "./ftp/pub/redhat-7.3"
> "./ftp/pub/cygwin" "./tmp"
> }
>
> cleared up the problem, and it worked great.
>

> although i do not change the mounting/filesystem often, is there a way
> to tell amanda to show no defference to how a filesystem is mounted and
> when / is indicated, she would backup the entire filesystem?
>
> this would obviate changing disklist if ever a client changed how it
> mounts ...

Semantics perhaps, but was backing up the "entire" / filesystem before.
/home, /opt, ... are not part of the / file system in your setup.  I hate
bring up a PC analogy, but what you are asking is "why when I ask it to
backup 'C:' doesn't it also back up my D: & E: drives, and my cdrom, and
my floppy, and my shared network drives?"

I don't think there is a decent way to do what you want with amanda.  Some
people might suggest dynamically 'changing' your disklist each amdump run
according to a scan of your fstab.  But that has problems recently described.

On your system do you have to break things up into separate filesystems?
Why not just have one / filesystem in your fstab?  Then amanda could get it
all with only one disklist entry.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)