Amanda-Users

Re: amanda's rights on a client

2003-05-27 05:13:14
Subject: Re: amanda's rights on a client
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:11:58 +0200
Mathias Körber wrote:
No, but in other cases such a restriction may be a hindrance, and IMHO should
not silently be imposed.

Which I why I thought about an option (like stay-in-filesystem)

I don't want that option, if you ask me to vote for it.

If necessary, mountpoints can also be excluded  and
finally, gnutar by default dumps symlinks and does not deref them.
another option could force a --dereference if desired.

I don't want that either.

Unix has unified (almost) all objects in the filesystem tree.
It's up to the administrator to indicate where he wants disks mounted,
other filesystems through NFS, SMB, DFS protocols, where he wants symlinks to point to etc.
The result is that for the end user, all is found in the big tree.
But, when you make a backup, you have to make a backup of the pieces
that form that virtual tree.  That's up to the administrator again.
If he made a mess of the large puzzle to create the filesystem, then
he has to solve it.  Seems fair to me.
Treating the sysadmin as an end user is not the way Unix has evolved
(unlike MS Windows for example).

Making backups of everything in the tree is wrong.
E.g. we make heavily use of the automounter.  Does that mean that
on every system amanda will make a backup of almost all nfs-mounted homedirectories, or of all CDroms that happen to be in the system, or of any target of any symlink (ln -s /net/bigserver/bigdisk /home/paul/mysmallcollection).
Adding a list of all things NOT to backup in such case is much
larger than simply listing all your disk partitions.

The KISS principle, you know.  (Even if on first sight, backing up
everying seems simpler.)