Amanda-Users

Re: andataco dlt library on Redhat.

2003-05-20 16:23:14
Subject: Re: andataco dlt library on Redhat.
From: John Dalbec <jpdalbec AT ysu DOT edu>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:21:00 -0400
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2003 at 11:18am, Block, John wrote

That is the problem. Both the drive and the robot are on SCSI ID 5. Can you
give me a quick how-to or point me in the right direction?

Well, this is rather RedHat specific, but the question does come up often enough that I'll keep it on the list.

The canonical source is the kernel-howto at linuxdoc.org. *But*, with RedHat, I like sticking to RPMs. So:

o Download the current kernel$VERSION.src.rpm from your favorite RedHat mirror (e.g. kernel-2.4.20-13.7.src.rpm)

o If you've never built from SRPMs before, create a file ~/.rpmmacros with the following in it:

%_topdir /some/path/src/rpm

   where you /some/path is someplace you have write access.

 o In that directory, create 5 subdirs: BUILD, RPMS, SOURCES, SPECS, SRPMS

 o Now, 'rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.20-13.7.src.rpm'

o cd /some/path/src/rpm, and edit the appropriate .spec file in SOURCES (e.g. SOURCES/kernel-2.4.20-i686-smp.config), changing the line that says:

# CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set

CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y

o You may also want to change the sublevel, err, level in SPECS/kernel-2.4.spec, to differentiate this from a stock kernel.

 o Build the kernel via:

rpmbuild --clean --rmsource --target=i686 SPECS/kernel-2.4.spec

o When that's done, you should have the familiar binary RPM packages in the RPMS/i386 and RPMS/i686 directories. Upgrade as usual.

...or you could just add the line
options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=8
(or whatever number you require) in /etc/modules.conf instead of rebuilding and upgrading your kernel as described above.
John