Amanda-Users

Re: Still getting timeout, is there ANYTHING else I should look at?

2003-05-19 10:35:48
Subject: Re: Still getting timeout, is there ANYTHING else I should look at?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:33:58 -0400
On Monday 19 May 2003 08:59, Rebecca Pakish Crum wrote:
>Okay, this is getting ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago this
> client was FINE. I now have etimeout set to 1800 and dtimeout set
> to 1800. I'm still getting:
>sending ack:
>----
>Amanda 2.4 ACK HANDLE 002-A0AB0708 SEQ 1053160202
>----
>
>bsd security: remote host web.isymmetrics.com user amanda local
> user amanda
>amandahosts security check passed
>amandad: running service "/usr/local/libexec/sendsize"
>amandad: sending REP packet:
>----
>Amanda 2.4 REP HANDLE 002-A0AB0708 SEQ 1053160202
>OPTIONS maxdumps=1;
>/ 0 SIZE 5469830
>/ 1 SIZE 622920
>/ 2 SIZE 412490
>----
>
>amandad: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: waiting for ack: timeout, giving up!
>amandad: pid 5432 finish time Sat May 17 02:28:50 2003
>
>I really need to get a backup on this box...should I just keep
> bumping this numbers up and see what happens? That seems a bit
> hit or miss. I can't imagine what would happen to my job if that
> box crashes and I have no backups for two weeks!
>
>PLEASE HELP.

I think you are running into timeouts in the firewall now.  If its
iptables, I think there is a way to cut an amanda hole thru it, but
I'm not that much of a guru on iptables.  What did you change in
the firewall 2 weeks ago?  Or, if you are running something like
portsentry, did it decide amanda was wearing a black hat and write
a new rule into iptables?

I realise I'm fishing here, but it might be things to check.

>Rebecca A. Crum
>Systems Administrator
>Unterberg & Associates, P.C.
>(219) 736-5579 ext. 184