Amanda-Users

Re: Still getting timeout, is there ANYTHING else I should look at?

2003-05-19 09:33:57
Subject: Re: Still getting timeout, is there ANYTHING else I should look at?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Rebecca Pakish Crum <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:21:57 +0200
Rebecca Pakish Crum wrote:
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago this client was
FINE. I now have etimeout set to 1800 and dtimeout set to 1800. I'm
still getting:

So how long does the client REALLY take to do its thing?
Look on the date stamps in the debugfiles in /tmp/amanda/ on the
client.
You find files /tmp/amanda/sendsize.* and /tmp/amanda/sendbackup.*
The first line has a datastamp when it started.  The last line
has a datestamp when it finished.  The etimeout parameter should
be larger then then the difference in the sendsize.* files.
The dtimeout paramater should be larger than the difference in the
sendbackup.* files.

Ok, now you've made sure it is one of those, then you know also
how much to increase it. Or find the reason why it is taking so long.

If it's not one of those two paramaters, then you can start looking
for other causes.
E.g., was there a firewall installed between the two, and is the
firewall blocking the traffic (timing out) too soon?