Amanda-Users

Re: Large filesystems...

2003-05-19 05:44:45
Subject: Re: Large filesystems...
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:30:14 +0200
Richard Russell wrote:
Ah, of course... bit what about the actual program it uses to write to
tapes? Is it dd, something else, or does it do its own writing?

Amanda uses a program 'taper', that is optimized to keep your
tapedrive streaming.  The program 'taper' is invoked by the program
'driver' which chooses the file taper has to put on tape.
Taper set up a shared memory pool of buffers (which you can tune
in amanda.conf (tapebufs), forks itself, and one part fill
the shared memory buffers from network or disk, and the other part
writes them to the tapedrive.

<snip>

Thing is, my users have this annoying habit of wanting something
restored from three weeks ago... Which complicates issues further, as I
need to have onsite backups for about a month, but would like to have
offsites less than a week old...

The usual way of solving this is running two configs, "daily" and
"archive".
Run the "daily" config each weekday, and run the "archive" config
each weekend.  Make sure that the "archive" config has "record no"
and "dumpcycle 0" in it's configuration.
Now you can restore whatever file from the "daily" tapes, and you
can store the "archive" tapes offsite.

If you happen to have two drives, you could also use the "rait"
output driver to duplicate your tape (one for onsite recovery,
one for offsite storage).  I've never done it, but it seems a
viable alternative for some people.