Amanda-Users

Re: chg-manual, span

2003-05-18 17:55:02
Subject: Re: chg-manual, span
From: tjungeblut AT t-online DOT de (Thorsten Jungeblut)
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 23:53:24 +0200 (Westeuropäische Sommerzeit)
On Thu, 15 May 2003, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thu May 15 2003 18:46, Thorsten Jungeblut wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I've problems to span one filesystem over multiple tapes.
> >For testing I got data of 3 GB to backup to 2GB tapes.
> >
> >My config is:
> >
> >org "std"               # your organization name for reports
> >dumpcycle 7 days        # the number of days in the normal dump
> > cycle tapecycle 10 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
> > bumpsize 20 MB          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump
> > level 1 -> 2 bumpdays     1          # minimum days at each level
> >bumpmult     4          # threshold = bumpsize *
> > (level-1)**bumpmult runtapes     5         # explained in
> > WHATS.NEW
>
> You only have 10 tapes?, yet the dumpcycle is 7 days, and runtapes
> is 5?

Just for testing... I didn't think about typecycle etc., yet.
I just want to make sure everything fits on the tapes, so i made runtapes
big enough.

> That implies the use of at least 35 tapes, and preferably about 70
> in the tapecycle pool.  One really should have 2 full generations
> of backups on hand.  For some reason, the most recent might be
> fubar, and its nice to be able to back up to another cycle.  I use
> DDS2's also, and get them on ebay at quite reasonable prices in the
> vicinity of $20 a box of 10.  Plus the usual exhorbitant shipping
> of course.
>
> >tpchanger "chg-manual" # the tape-changer glue script, see
> > TAPE.CHANGERS #changerdev "/dev/null"
> >changerfile "/etc/amanda/std/changer"
> >tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # Linux @ tuck, important: norewinding
> >
> >holdingdisk hd1 {
> >        directory "/disk1/amanda"
> >        comment "main holding disk"
> >        use 10000 Mb
> >        chunksize 1 GB
> >        }
> How much _could_ you give it? 10 gigs may be a bit tight.
>
> >[...]
> >
> >define dumptype standard {
> >    comment "standard"
> >    no-compress
> >    index yes
> >    priority medium
> >}
> >
> >disklist:
> >
> >localhost        /dev/hda5       standard
>
> Ouch.  For numerous reasons one should not use localhost, but use
> instead the FQDN of the machine.  Localhost will bite you, a bit
> higher than the ankles.  Probably at recovery time, which is a bad
> time to find that out according to people who've run into it.

> >It is my first try with amanda, so please correct me, too, if I
> > make some trivial mistakes. :)
> >
> >To start complete new run, I do an
> >
> >amrmtape std STD00 (STD01, ... Tapes i used in tests before)
> >amcleanup std
> >rm -r /var/lib/amanda/std/*
> >rm -r /disk1/amanda/*
> >
> >(is this the correct way to restart? did i miss something?)
> >
> >amdump std
> >
> >(which should now do an level 0 dump, right?)
> >
> >amstatus std
> >
> >says, that amanda is dumping the data (everything) to the holding
> > disk and is starting to write it to the tape.
> >
> >then it requires to insert the 2nd tape
> >then it requires to insert the 3rd tape (? 3 GB should easily fit
> > on 2 2GB tapes?)
>
> It would, IF amanda could span a *single* disklist entry across more
> than one tape.  It cannot.  You didn't mention which dumper you
> were using, dump being limited to whole filesystems, but tar can
> allow one to split the disklist entries up into subdirs which will
> fit.  Just make sure the tar is at least 1.13-19, and 1.13-25
> should be better.  Just plain old 1.13 is broken at recovery time.
> Generally speaking, most of this group recommends the use of tar,
> not dump or some cousin of it.

define dumptype standard {
    comment "standard"
    no-compress
    index yes
    priority medium
}

Should i just add 'program "GNUTAR"' to my dumptype?

little:/disk1/amanda/20030518# tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

btw: i tried to speed up my test by making my tapes smaller by setting
length 100 mbytes in my tapetype, but it seems, that amanda doesn't bother
about it?