Amanda-Users

Re: chg-manual, span

2003-05-18 18:14:17
Subject: Re: chg-manual, span
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 18:12:48 -0400
On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 11:53:24PM +0200, Thorsten Jungeblut wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > On Thu May 15 2003 18:46, Thorsten Jungeblut wrote:
> > >Hi!
> > >
> > >I've problems to span one filesystem over multiple tapes.
> > >For testing I got data of 3 GB to backup to 2GB tapes.

> > You only have 10 tapes?, yet the dumpcycle is 7 days, and runtapes
> > is 5?
>
> Just for testing... I didn't think about typecycle etc., yet.
> I just want to make sure everything fits on the tapes, so i made runtapes
> big enough.
>
> > It would, IF amanda could span a *single* disklist entry across more
> > than one tape.  It cannot.  You didn't mention which dumper you
> > were using, dump being limited to whole filesystems, but tar can
> > allow one to split the disklist entries up into subdirs which will
> > fit.  Just make sure the tar is at least 1.13-19, and 1.13-25
> > should be better.  Just plain old 1.13 is broken at recovery time.
> > Generally speaking, most of this group recommends the use of tar,
> > not dump or some cousin of it.
>
> define dumptype standard {
>     comment "standard"
>     no-compress
>     index yes
>     priority medium
> }
>
> Should i just add 'program "GNUTAR"' to my dumptype?

No, you misunderstood Gene.  Amanda CANNOT span a large filesystem
across multiple tapes.  Can not, no way, no how.

You must arrange for amanda to backup parts of the filesystem
separately.  Each part must be small enough to fit on a single tape.

Dump can not handle partial file systems (aka directory tree's) but
tar can.  Thus Gene's suggestion to use tar.

Then instead of one disklist entry (DLE) for /BIG,
you might have 5 DLE's.  /BIG/home, /BIG/xyzzy, /BIG/foo, and /BIG/bar.
The fifth DLE would still be /BIG, but use the exclude feature to have
it skip the other 4 directory trees.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)