Amanda-Users

chg-manual, span

2003-05-15 18:50:26
Subject: chg-manual, span
From: Thorsten Jungeblut <tj AT hni.uni-paderborn DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 00:46:33 +0200 (MEST)
Hi!

I've problems to span one filesystem over multiple tapes.
For testing I got data of 3 GB to backup to 2GB tapes.

My config is:

org "std"               # your organization name for reports
dumpcycle 7 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
tapecycle 10 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
bumpsize 20 MB          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays     1          # minimum days at each level
bumpmult     4          # threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult
runtapes     5         # explained in WHATS.NEW
tpchanger "chg-manual" # the tape-changer glue script, see TAPE.CHANGERS
#changerdev "/dev/null"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/std/changer"
tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # Linux @ tuck, important: norewinding

holdingdisk hd1 {
        directory "/disk1/amanda"
        comment "main holding disk"
        use 10000 Mb
        chunksize 1 GB
        }

[...]

define dumptype standard {
    comment "standard"
    no-compress
    index yes
    priority medium
}

disklist:

localhost       /dev/hda5       standard

It is my first try with amanda, so please correct me, too, if I make some
trivial mistakes. :)

To start complete new run, I do an

amrmtape std STD00 (STD01, ... Tapes i used in tests before)
amcleanup std
rm -r /var/lib/amanda/std/*
rm -r /disk1/amanda/*

(is this the correct way to restart? did i miss something?)

amdump std

(which should now do an level 0 dump, right?)

amstatus std

says, that amanda is dumping the data (everything) to the holding disk and
is starting to write it to the tape.

then it requires to insert the 2nd tape
then it requires to insert the 3rd tape (? 3 GB should easily fit on 2
2GB tapes?)

amdump exits after 0kb of the 3rd tape, log show an error about to many
tape retries.

->amflush std
->requires a 4th tape.

tape ist ejected, changer.debug complains about failing to write to
/dev/tty (I think that should be the request for the next tape, which
failed, because amflush puts itself to the background)

Am I doing anything totally wrong?

Tnx for your help!!