Amanda-Users

RE: Tape Robots

2003-05-16 00:34:03
Subject: RE: Tape Robots
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Richard Russell <richard AT yellowgoanna DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:30:01 -0500
--On Friday, May 16, 2003 11:42:09 +0930 Richard Russell <richard AT
yellowgoanna DOT com> wrote:

> Hi amanda-users...
>
> I haven't received any response to this email, and was wondering if it's
> because I'm in the wrong forum, or perhaps haven't given enough
> information... or just that no-one happens to know anything about the
> ALT 4/52 (which, I have discovered, appears to be a Quantum product,
> similar to the ALT 7100) . . . Could someone give me a tip as to how to
> find out the information that i need?

Probably no one here knows anything about an ALT 4/52.  Are you sure it's
not an ATL 4/52 ? If so, some Googling shows it has a 68-pin SCSI-2
fast/wide differential interface.  Also might have firstbeen made by Odetics
then ATL which is now apparently part of Quantum. Has up to 4 DLT-4 drives,
52 tapes, is 23"x44"x32", and weighs 380 lbs.  Changer uses a separate
SCSI-ID from the drives, and a separate SCSI connector for each drive and
the changer, and possibly a (serial?) console port.
  You can buy one new in box on eBay for $4500 or less.  Also were rebranded
by DEC, Sun, and others. First press release on it I found was from 1997.
Apparently first sold with DLT-4000 drives and later with DLT-7000 drives.

Frank