Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Robots

2003-05-16 00:10:57
Subject: Re: Tape Robots
From: Bernhard Beck <bb AT collabrys DOT com>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net, Richard Russell <richard AT yellowgoanna DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:09:15 -0700
Gene Heskett wrote:

On Thu May 15 2003 22:12, Richard Russell wrote:

Hi amanda-users...

I haven't received any response to this email, and was wondering
if it's because I'm in the wrong forum, or perhaps haven't given
enough information... or just that no-one happens to know
anything about the ALT 4/52 (which, I have discovered, appears to
be a Quantum product, similar to the ALT 7100) . . . Could
someone give me a tip as to how to find out the information that
i need?

Cheers

rr

Is this drive found at boot time? If it is, then the ultimate identity might be obtainable from a perusal of /var/log/dmesg or its equivalent.

We'd need your os, and if the kernel is stock or custom too before anybody can offer any real advice. Lots of variables.

I don't know if you will be able to control the tape robot, but many people have success using mtx and the chg_zd_mtx changer script. No guarantee if that works, but that's the first I'd try. Look at top of the chg_zd_mtx script for quick step-by-step instructions. You will need a Differential SCSI controller (such as the Adaptec 2944 or similar). The Adaptec is recognized by the standard aix7xxx SCSI driver in any halfway modern Linux kernel. Once you have the tape library connected to the system, and recognized on boot, you should be able to get more information about the actual devices (again mtx might come in handy here) and maybe someone else can help you out with getting the tape robot working.

Good luck!
Bernhard