Amanda-Users

New Hardware Question(s)

2003-05-15 13:14:59
Subject: New Hardware Question(s)
From: Matthew Keller <kellermg AT potsdam DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 15 May 2003 13:11:08 -0400
I've used Amanda (on Linux) w/ a number of direct SCSI configurations
such as an Exabyte EXB-480, etc., but we're moving to a fiber
channel-based SAN to help with our disk consolidation and now our server
backups. We're getting an HP SureStore 4/40 w/ 4 HP Ultrium (LTO) drives
and fiber channel interfaces.

I haven't done fiber channel on Linux yet, is anyone using Amanda and
fiber channel devices? More specifically is anyone using Amanda and HP
SS 4/40's or any other HP SS LTO solution? I'm just trying to learn as
much as possible before hardware is here and I'm under pressure (yum) to
get the system up and running.

>>From what I've read thus far (*twitch* kernel source *twitch*) Linux
looks at FC "connections" as both SCSI "device" and network "device", so
software that understands, for example, how to manipulate an SS 4/40
over SCSI will work "just fine" over an established FC connection. I've
gone through the archives on this list and it appears that a number of
people are using HP LTO drives, but having problems with compression-
Anyone care to comment on that?

Thanks in advance for any information.
--
Matthew Keller