Amanda-Users

Re: Question on tapetype in amanda.conf

2003-05-14 13:25:26
Subject: Re: Question on tapetype in amanda.conf
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 19:16:51 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:53:49AM -0400, Joel wrote:
I've inherited a problem and want to attack this in phases. We are
running version 2.4.1p1 and before I upgrade I've got a boat load of
other things to do. Our DLT4000 died and we replaced it with a Quantum DLT1. I'm not sure what the tapetype entry in my config file should look like. It seems to run ok if I use the old one but I want to verify that
I'm not creating write-only backups. This is what we have now

   define tapetype DLT-HWC {
       comment "DLT tape drive, Hardware Compression"
       length 40000 mbytes     # 20 Gig tapes, 2x compression
       filemark 2000 kbytes    # I don't know what this means
       speed 3000 kbytes       # Should be about twice as fast as DLT
       lbl-templ "/etc/amanda/Daily/8.5x11.ps"
   }

Tape parameters are used mostly in planning.  Once the dump is done
and taped, I don't recall anything using the tapetype info.

Except the "taperalgo", which could try to fit the best image for the
remaining tape capacity.

Are you sure you want hardware compression?
If you're not time/cpu constrained, doing software compression is better
for amanda planner algorithms.
(Also, I recently learned that doing software compression on the
filesystem that contains your root and amanda software make it difficult
to restore too, if you don't have gzip in your cdrom bootable system,
like Solaris :-)