Amanda-Users

Re: wasted action of taper

2003-05-14 13:22:03
Subject: Re: wasted action of taper
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 19:11:20 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:

I've asked basically the same question before, but my dumps
this week make me raise it again.

Why is taper written such that it tries to write a dump file
clearly too large for the remaining tape?

It's to suite the people that have hardware compression and have to make
a wild guess for their tapesize.  So amanda tries to fit the files using
it's taperalgo, but if nothing fits, it just picks the file and tries anyway, in the
hope that the specified tapesize is rather pessimistic.

[...]
Why?  Just in case it might "squeeze in"?

Yes, it might squeeze in.
I have to think a little more about the pros/cons of doing it the other way.
Wasted time is only a minor issue for most people, I believe.