Amanda-Users

Re: Question on tapetype in amanda.conf

2003-05-15 08:24:45
Subject: Re: Question on tapetype in amanda.conf
From: Joel <jc517 AT wmi DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 08:23:39 -0400

Paul Bijnens wrote:

> >Tape parameters are used mostly in planning.  Once the dump is done
> >and taped, I don't recall anything using the tapetype info.
> >
> Except the "taperalgo", which could try to fit the best image for the
> remaining tape capacity.
>
> Are you sure you want hardware compression?
> If you're not time/cpu constrained, doing software compression is better
> for amanda planner algorithms.
> (Also, I recently learned that doing software compression on the
> filesystem that contains your root and amanda software make it difficult
> to restore too, if you don't have gzip in your cdrom bootable system,
> like Solaris :-)

Thanks for all your input. It turns out that we are not doing
compresion.
The "tapetype" entry is either misnamed or compression was turned off
at some point in the process. None of the "dumptype" entries that are
in use now enable compression.As long as I know we've got working
backups I can concentrate on other issues first and do my ugrades and
fixes when things settle down a bit.

- Joel