Amanda-Users

Re: wasted action of taper

2003-05-15 11:47:20
Subject: Re: wasted action of taper
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:44:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 15 May 2003, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> And Brian Cuttler asked:

> > Couldn't we recover with "# dd" and "# cat >>" or would reassemble
> > need to be more complex than that ?
>

> Its not so much that you "couldn't".  More the effort involved, where
> the required information would be kept, and would existing implementations
> be affected.

Folks,

This is the beginning of a complete re-hash of a discussion that took
place on amanda-hackers some time ago, I think 1.5 or maybe 2.5 years
ago.  That discussion covered everything mentioned so far in this
discussion plus a considerable amount of design engineering of how to
make this work.

I think before re-engineering the whole thing it would be worth looking
up that discussion in the archives and jump-starting this discussion
based on the mostly already complete design.

-Mitch