Amanda-Users

Re: backing up HA pairs?

2003-05-14 13:20:38
Subject: Re: backing up HA pairs?
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: David Raistrick <drais AT wow.atlasta DOT net>
Date: 14 May 2003 13:18:18 -0400
On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 12:24, David Raistrick wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2003, Eric Sproul wrote:
>
> > Is there anyone using AMANDA to back up pairs or clusters of
> > high-availability boxen running Linux?  I've got my first HA pair
>
> Not Linux, but a FreeBSD/freevrrpd/rsync HA pair.
>
> I'd normally just point my server to the virtual IP address and backup
> whichever is live at the moment....but since my HA pair is in the PSN/DMZ
> of my firewall all return traffic to the amanda server must come from the
> same IP that I connect to.  Since the virtual IP is an alias, and amanda
> replies from the "main" address of the machine, the firewall blocks the
> traffic.
>
> If you don't have a firewall doing this, then this should work fine.

David,
Thanks for the info.  I do not have a firewall in between the HA pair
and the tape server.  In the tape server's .amandahosts, I put the host
names corresponding to the main interfaces of both the primary and
secondary boxes, so that if I need to use amrecover, it should work OK
(will test that soon).  In the disklist, I use the hostname that
corresponds to the virtual IP.

Building awareness of multiple IP interfaces into the client is a Good
Thing(tm), IMHO.  It would help lots of people working with
multihomed/firewalled systems.  I don't have the ability to do it, but
I'll cheer and wave my pom-poms from the sideline...  ;-P

Eric

--
      #!/Eric/Sproul        | The problem with the rat race
   OSS Engineer, NTELOS     | is that even if you win,