Amanda-Users

Re: chg-scsi: "got signal 11" on amcheck

2003-05-13 10:40:24
Subject: Re: chg-scsi: "got signal 11" on amcheck
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:38:27 -0400
On Tue May 13 2003 06:04, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> On Mon May 12 2003 14:26, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> >Did anyone find a way around this
>> >
>> >amcheck-server: fatal slot <error>: <error> could not read
>> > result from "/usr/freeware/libexec/chg-scsi" (got signal 11)
>>
>> Here, that would be /usr/local/libexec/chg-scsi.  OS diffs no
>> doubt...
>
>I'm using SGI IRIX.

Humm, so we need IRIX experts here.  Not guilty.

> (/usr/freeware is the default install prefix
> for "unsupported freeware packages", while /usr is reserved for
> supported applications/base OS dist, and /usr/local is assumed to
> only contain files installed directly from source.)
>
>> >when running amcheck on a chg-scsi based setup with Amanda
>> > 2.4.4? It's been mentioned on the list before, but no
>> > resolution was posted...
>
>[ ... ]
>
>> Word-wrap turned off for saving file formatting...
>>
>> I'm a chg-scsi user here. It sounds as if you might have the
>> chg-scsi.conf file "miss-adjusted" :)
>>
>> You don't mention what changer you have, so the best I can do
>> is insert my pwn operational chg-scsi.conf file and let you
>> adjust to suit.
>
>It's a Sony StorStation Lib-81 AIT library (which I ended up
> purchasing even though many people on the list recommended
> OverLand libraries, due to budget constraints.)
>
>> My changer is a Seagate/Compaq 4586np, aka known as a CTL-96
>> in some circles
>
>[ ... ]
>I've now created a new config based on yours - I changed
> changerdev to "/dev/scsi/sc2d1l0" and dev to "/dev/nrtape", and
> replaced "/usr/local" with "/usr/freeware", but left everything
> else unchanged. I still get the same behaviour with this setup.
> Here is the output from various chg-scsi commands:
>
># /usr/freeware/libexec/chg-scsi -info
>0 4 1 0
># /usr/freeware/libexec/chg-scsi -slot 0
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
># /usr/freeware/libexec/chg-scsi -slot 1
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
># /usr/freeware/libexec/chg-scsi -scan
>name /dev/scsi/sc2d1l0 Changer
>Count 1
>#  /usr/freeware/libexec/chg-scsi -eject
>1 /dev/nrtape
>
>Notice that the tape appears to be changed correctly at the point
> where it dumps core. I also tried to debug a bit to find out what
> was going on, but wasn't very successful; the debugger simply got
> very confused and didn't really tell me anything. I've run the
> commands as super user and "amanda", with the same results.

I think you've got to have a chew of Kentucky Twist going in order
to properly decode some of that swahili from dbg!  Red Man just
won't cut it. ;-)

>I've now also built and installed mtx, though, so maybe I'll just
> use chg-mtx or chg-zd-mtx...

Going back to the signal 11, thats often indicative of a hardware
problem, as in a bad memory location here on a linux box.  Has that
been checked?  Also cabling issues, terminations and such could
play a part I'd imagine.

Where is the IRIX expert when you need him?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: