Amanda-Users

Re: chg-scsi: "got signal 11" on amcheck

2003-05-12 11:27:06
Subject: Re: chg-scsi: "got signal 11" on amcheck
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:24:29 +0000
On Mon May 12 2003 14:26, Toralf Lund wrote:
>Did anyone find a way around this
>
>amcheck-server: fatal slot <error>: <error> could not read result
> from "/usr/freeware/libexec/chg-scsi" (got signal 11)

Here, that would be /usr/local/libexec/chg-scsi.  OS diffs no doubt...

>when running amcheck on a chg-scsi based setup with Amanda 2.4.4?
> It's been mentioned on the list before, but no resolution was
> posted...
>
>Note:
>1. The tape changer actually manages to load the next tape before
>everything fails horribly.
>2. Yes, I do know about chg-mtx. It's just that mtx isn't
> installed on my server, and I don't have a binary package for it,
> either, so I thought I might try chg-scsi first.
>
>--
>- Toralf

Word-wrap turned off for saving file formatting...

I'm a chg-scsi user here. It sounds as if you might have the
chg-scsi.conf file "miss-adjusted" :)

You don't mention what changer you have, so the best I can do
is insert my pwn operational chg-scsi.conf file and let you adjust
to suit.

My changer is a Seagate/Compaq 4586np, aka known as a CTL-96
in some circles

---------------------------------------
number_configs  1       # you could have more if more than one changer is
present
eject           0       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           13      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        100     # How many times could a cleaning tape get used

# get the next info from /var/log/dmesg, its the 'media changer'
changerdev      /dev/sg1

#
# Next comes the data for drive 0
#
config          0       # start a new config at 1 etc
drivenum        0
# again, get this from /var/log/dmesg, using the NON-rewinding device
dev             /dev/nst0       # the device that is used for the tapedrive 0
# the slot counter is in base 0 math unforch, even if the drive says 1-4
startuse        0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse          3       #
# these files are wherever your default install puts them
statfile        /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape-slot  # The file where the actual
slot is stored
# I found I didn't need this often enough to waste a slot storing it
# I've cleaned it twice in 2 years, when it asked to be cleaned.
#cleancart      3       # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is
located
#cleanfile      /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape-clean # The file where the cleanings
are recorded
usagecount      /usr/local/etc/amanda/totaltime

# Thats all folks!
------------------------------------

Now, if on a linux box, you will have to build a kernel
with the generic scsi support in order to access the
changer stuff, and if on linux, it doesn't do a
'scan all luns' at bootup time unless thats also
enabled in the kernel configuration.

It (scan all luns) is not on by default.

eg, you may have to build a kernel.  Running 2.4.21-rc2-ck6
here.

And yes, I occasionally bleed, but this seems extremely
stable so far.

:-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M