Amanda-Users

Re: Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip

2003-05-09 17:39:19
Subject: Re: Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip
From: "Andrew A. Raines" <drew AT phg.mc.vanderbilt DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 16:36:49 -0500
"Urie, Todd" <TUrie AT trueposition DOT com> writes:

[...]

> 2. If you have the spare emtpy disk to do #1, you might also consider
> restoring from tape to a disk using 'dd' then taking that disk to another
> system that has 'gzip' and uncompressing it to the same disk.  Then take
> that disk and put back into the broke system along with the system disk onto
> which you want to restore the data then run 'ufsrestore' and specify the
> newly created, uncompressed disk file instead of stdout.

I ended up going with a variation on this idea.  I have an Ultra 30
laying around with the same Solaris version, so I stole its drive
and threw it in an empty bay on the 450.  It had gzip on
/export/local.

I'm now waiting for everything to restore.  Hopefully when it's
done I'll only be an installboot away from peace.

Thanks to all for their advice.  I was actually looking for a more
AMANDA-specific answer (which is why I asked the question here)
because I wasn't sure if gzip was absolutely needed.  Obviously, it
was, so I apologize for the general sysadmin noise.

-Drew