Amanda-Users

Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip

2003-05-09 14:14:32
Subject: Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip
From: "Andrew A. Raines" <drew AT phg.mc.vanderbilt DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 13:11:50 -0500
I'm trying to restore / and /usr from tape.  My AMANDA printout
tells me to do:

   dd if=/dev/rmt/0n bs=32k skip=1 | /gzip -cd | ufsrestore -if -

That's dandy, and I use it all the time for other filesystems.
However, because it's the system drive that failed in my E450, I'm
in single-user mode from the Solaris CD.  There ain't no gzip.
There ain't no amrestore.

Every time I run this:

   # mt rewind
   # mt fsf 5
   # dd if=/dev/rmt/0n bs=32k skip=1 | ufsrestore -rvf -

I get ``Volume not in dump format.''  That doesn't really surprise
me, because the data is compressed on disk and must be uncompressed
before ufsrestore can ``understand'' it.

So my question is, what can I do?  I've never had to bootstrap a
system from tape like this.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.  This is an extremely
critical system.

--
Drew
(34)3-5853